Tuesday 8 October 2013

Hollister Co.

 Hollister was created by John M. Hollister. He graduated from Yale University at the age of 21 and the traveled to the Dutch East Indies in 1917. He then fell in love and with his new lover he purchased a boat and they traveled across the South Pacific Ocean and visited different places learning about different cultures. When they arrived in Los Angeles in 1919 they got married and had a child named John M. Hollister Jr. in 1920. Because his son loved the ocean as much as him he decided to create Hollister Co. in 1922 in Laguana Beach. When John Jr. took over this company in 1957 he started to bring in surf apparel and equipment. 

This story you just read is actually not true. It was created by Mike Jeffries to create more of a surfer, beach like atmosphere for the shopper. The first Hollister store was opened in July 2000 in Columbus, Ohio at the Easton Town Centre. The product is designed to attract shoppers aged between 14 and 18. Hollister products can be purchased in the store and online. The stores also have the look based on a life guard house to give the feeling of being in a surf shop. In mid January of 2006 the first Canadian Hollister store opened in 2006 along with an Abercrombie and Fitch. Shortly after this in the summer of 2007, several TVs were installed in Hollister stores that played a live feed from the Surf City Huntington Beach to increase the feeling of the surf hut atmosphere. On October 25, 2008 Hollister opened its first international store in London, England. In December of that same year they opened their second store in the UK, and shortly afterward, a third. Hollister continues to expand and attract more and more customers. I personally love this brand. Their clothing is very comfortable and reasonably priced considering the quality of the product. I would love it if there was a store closer to Windsor considering the closest store in Canada is in Toronto.  

I don't know why the company decided to create this fictional story but I must admit it is quite interesting to read and ponder upon. It also makes a lot of sense considering the theme of all Hollister stores in a surf theme. A lot of people complain about how dark the stores are and how strong the aroma is but I personally like the atmosphere in Hollister stores. I find the dim lighting is relaxing and what girl doesn't love the smell of Hollister cologne? 

http://hcohounds.tumblr.com/post/276422881
http://thehollisterco1922.piczo.com/post/66103/
http://business.transworld.net/8642/features/how-hollister-co-stole-surf-eight-years-after-abercrombie-fitch-invaded-the-surf-market-what-can-be-done-to-defend-against-them/

3 comments:

  1. This post was a shocker to me because Hollister is one of my most favorite brands ever to wear and I always loved that #22 on the shirts ! Now to know that that number isn't exactly significant to the company just blows my mind. But anyway I was glad I read this to add depth to my knowledge of fashion history!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget to source and reword writing in order to avoid plagiarism.

    Much of this can be found at http://bluwiki.com/go/Hollister_coupons .

    + Try to add more of you personal opinions / anecdotes to each post in order to make your blog unique. We can find this information elsewhere, but your insight can only be found here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I had forgotten my sources, and my opinion but I added them now and the website you mentioned was not one of the websites I used for my information but I reworded any areas that could be questionable.

      Delete