Saturday 28 September 2013

Why did I choose this topic?

I chose this topic to answer many questions that many people including myself ask ourselves about name brand clothing. Some people wonder is the year that is printed on the clothing is in fact the year that the brand was established, meanwhile for some name brands it is and some brands it is not. Some brands that were created in very early years such as Abercrombie and Fitch, created in 1892, haven't always sold clothing. Some brands sold sporting equipment before selling clothing. Obviously the clothing that was created in the 1920's by certain name brands like Hollister, is nothing like what these companies make today, fashion is one the largest areas in which the world has evolved. It is also interesting that a specific name on a piece of clothing can define how you are judged. These names have changed throughout the years, 4 years ago when I was finishing up grade school, Aeropostale and Hollister were the name brands everyone had to have to be considered «cool.» Now-a-days its PINK by Victoria Secret, and Lululemon that are the more popular ones. There is also a lot of confusion when it comes to how companies chose the name for their product, some chose the name or last name of the person who first created it, or sometimes it is just random, in this blog I will talk about how the companies chose their names and why they did things the way they did. People always do reserch and go into detail on how fashion itself has evolved and how different styles have gone out and came back, but no one has ever looked into how the companies that create the clothing have changed, and without these companies, we wouldn’t have all these styles. That is why I decided to talk about this in my blog, I wanted to touch on a topic that not many people think about when they think of the evolution of clothing.

6 comments:

  1. I am actually so excited to read more about this blog! I love brand name clothing, that's just who I am but I don't agree with being judged just because you wear brand names or not. Everyone has their own style and interests so obviously that is going to cause some friction in our society. I would definitely love to learn more about the brand names evolution because just to know that " One Hollister shirt" can carry so much history is mind blowing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jenna! This blog seems like it will be very interesting; I don't really have much of a fasion sense. I simply just find what looks cute and I put it on. I honestly never thought of reasons why brands chose the names or styles that they did and maybe this blog will give me little bit of a better eye for fasion! I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting topic. I never really cared for name brand clothing. I mean if I liked it, I'd buy it, even if it wasn't a popular brand. Maybe it's just a guy thing, not to really care to have famous brands all over clothes. I always found it kind of strange to have big bold letters written across a shirt. Plus the prices or outstanding like $30 for one shirt is insane! I'd rather go to Wal-Mart and just get 5 shirts for $30

    I'm very interested to hear more about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your choice of topic because I'm very interested in this as well and I can't wait to read more about it! Honestly I don't think it should matter what brand of clothing you are wearing, but unfortunately that't not what other people see. To me it doesn't matter what brand I'm wearing, as long as I'm fortunate enough to have clothes because some people don't even have the choice of what brand they want to wear! I'm looking forward to reading about the evolution of the companies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a very interesting topic! I love name brand clothing and I'd love to own more of it but it is so expensive! I'm really interested to see the history of the brands and where they come from and also how they got to be so popular.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenna, I look forward to reading your follow up blogs on this topic. I don't really own very many brand names because in all honesty I've just never really understood why they are such a big deal. However, I do not know much about them, so I am excited to learn more about this subject.

    ReplyDelete