Monday 30 December 2013

Tommy Hilfiger Co.



Tommy Hilfiger was created by Tommy Hilfiger himself, which answers the question of the name of the company. Hilfiger actually started in the fashion industry while he was in high school. He managed to open a small line of clothing with only $150, he named it People's Place. He taught himself everything he knew and dreamed to move the company to upstate New York and be a full-time fashion designer and in 1979, his dream came true. Mohan Murjani noticed Hilfiger and loved his work. He was a businessman and new that with Hilfiger's help he could accomplish a lot. So together they created a line of men's dress up clothing. In 1985, Hilfiger hired George Lois, and together they designed a billboard to put in the middle of Times Square. In 2007, the two men created a book called "A Roller-Coaster Ride Through the Eye-Popping Panorama of American Pop Culture." In the 1990's, Hilfiger used rising music stars such as Brittany Spears in his advertising which brought the company even more business. In 2009 the company launched its website which allows people to purchased their product in the comfort of t heir own home. The company has only improved since then and continues to grow today. 

Tommy Hilfiger has received many awards, some of which include:
Parsons School of Design - Designer of the Year in 1998
GQ Magazine - "Men of the Year" Issue
Council of Fashion Designers of America - Menswear Designer of the Year in 1995
VHI's "From the Catwalk to the Sidewalk" Award
Drug Abuse Resistance Education - Future of America Award which is the highest honor in that organisation

And many more..

Tommy Hilfiger is one name brand that I do not own, mind you I did when I was younger. I actually have a funny story about that. When I was about 10 years old, I had a pair of Tommy Hilfiger jeans that I had received as a gift. I loved those jeans, they were "the best pair of pants I ever had" and I wore them everywhere and everyday possible. Unfortunately, you can't stay a size 10/12 and I grew out of them. But that didn't stop me from wearing them. I continued squeezed into them until it was a bit ridiculous and my mom gave them away without me knowing. Believe it or not I cried when I found out what she did. Ever since I haven't owned anything from TH, nor have I entered a store. 


http://global.tommy.com/int/en/About/biography 




2 comments:

  1. I don't own anything from this store either, all of their stuff is really elegant and it's where I would shop of I needed a really proper outfit. It's interesting to know that he started his clothing line off of $150, not many people could accomplish that and to have his company be this successful is pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love higher end brands and Tommy H. It may be slightly shallow but I feel like a better person when wearing something that I know is somewhat prestigious and that other people will recognize it in that way. To be quite honest, brands play a huge role in confidence. When walking up to somewhere and your sporting an Armani logo on your chest you simply feel better than just wearing a normal t- shirt. I don't know if this is 'douchebagery' at its finest or a common behaviour. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete