Monday 30 December 2013

Puma

The company started in 1924, and was created by Rudolf and Adolf Dassler, two Germans. The first big success for these brothers was when Jesse Owens won 4 Olympic gold medals while wearing the Dassler shoes. In 1948, the company decided on the name PUMA and officially became a business on October 1st, 1948. In 1950, another great accomplishment happened for the bothers when several members of the West Germany national football team wore the Puma football shoes. In 1954, Germany's premier team wins the championship with the majority of the players wearing the new and improved football boot, called "BRAZIL." In 1954, Heinz Fütterer breaks a world record in track and field wearing Puma shoes. In 1958, the company launches its logo and in 1960 Puma is the first and only shoe company that uses the "Technologically advanced vulcanization production technique" which is when the boot and the sole of the shoe are in fact connected and not two separate pieces. From 1962 to 1968 Puma shoes are sported by many star athletes such as Eusebio and Pelé. In 1977 Puma is used in tennis and Guillermo Vilas wins many championships wearing Puma shoes including the French, US and Australian open. Puma becomes very popular in the tennis world in the 1980s when Broris Becker wins the championship wearing Puma shoes and using a Puma racket. In 1993, Jochen Zeitz becomes the CEO of he company and is responsible of getting them out of the financial difficulties they were currently in. He succeeds and Puma becomes one of the top 3 sporting good companies. In 1998, Puma signs with Serena Williams and she proceeds to win the US Open, the France Open and is ranked number one in the world. Puma now creates many different sporting goods such as clothing and equipment and of course many different designs of shoes. 


I love puma, it is one of my favourite brands. Believe it or not I prefer Puma shoes over Nike and not many people can say that. I find them more comfortable and a lot lighter than other running shoes. I don't have any of their apparel but I do wish to get some soon. A puma store recently opened in Windsor and I would love to check it out soon. I was very interested while reading the history of this brand not only because the story was great but the format that the website had the information was very cool, and helped keep me interested. 

http://about.puma.com/category/company/history/

3 comments:

  1. Puma is one of my favorite brand names! I really enjoyed this blog, and it is so interesting reading about how so many brand names began! It is also great that the Puma store has just opened in the Outlet Mall in Windsor. I use to buy so many puma articles in the states, because they are much cheaper there, but the Puma store in Windsor has actually great pricing. You should check it out, but very interesting blog Jenna!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting blog. I had no idea of the history behind these various brands and how important it was to their evolution and their overall image.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a pair of Puma shoes that I loved! unfortunately I wore them out, but I will have to get another pair soon! I can agree with you 100% when you say that puma shoes are better than Nike, they are made so much better and are a lot comfier. I had no idea of the history of Puma and its pretty cool how it all started out! Great Blog.

    ReplyDelete