Friday 1 November 2013

Lululemon Athletica


For my next blog I am going to talk about one of my favourite name brands.


Chip Wilson, the founder of the company, was originally interested in surfing, skate boarding, and snow boarding, similar to a lot of other name brand producers. When Chip tried his first yoga class, he found it very relaxing and similar to the feeling after snow boarding or surfing. Chip found the clothing that was worn for yoga inappropriate for the activity and therefore started to design a more efficient style of clothing. The success of the clothing depended on the feedback of the yoga instructors that taught during the night classes in the small studio Chip opened to help pay the rent of the stores. 

They decided on the name Lululemon with the help of a survey that 100 people took place in. These people had the choice between 20 names and 20 logos. The logo was originally meant to be a fancy "A" to represent "athletically hip" which was one of the names that did not make it. 

The company was founded in 1998 and the first store opened in November of 2000 in Vancouver, BC. The original plan was t only have one store and the store would be a place that people could come to and learn about healthy life styles and about various different physical activities. Unfortunately, the store became so busy that it was not possible to teach people about life styles and sell the product at the same time. They then had to open more stores and they trained the staff intensely so that they were able to not only inspire the people that came into the stores but also the community and their own families. 
The company then stated, "The training program was such a success that the Lululemon people have created a life for themselves that most people could only dream of. Lululemon is a company where dreams come to fruition."

lululemon athleticaIn 2008, Lululemon had a total of 113 stores and by 2012 had expanded to 250 stores. It was able to expand this much without doing a lot of advertising at all. The stores do not only sell their product but they also offer a variety of workshops such as self defense and goal setting and they also offer complimentary yoga classes in the mornings before the store opens. 

I personally love this product because it is very comfortable and of great quality. A lot of people would much rather buy a pair of yoga pants from Wal-Mart for $80 cheaper but the difference in quality is crazy. The company offers a 5 year warranty on all of their clothing and if you are not satisfied with the product they will replace it free of charge. They also do not charge for shipping if you order something online. I love all of my Lululemon clothing, they have yet to disappoint me with their product. 

“You don’t need anything to do yoga. You don’t even need shoes. ”



http://nymag.com/shopping/features/58082/index1.html
http://www.lululemon.com/about/
http://www.lululemon.com/about/history

5 comments:

  1. This is a very interesting blog post. I love Lululemon clothing! I had no idea that it was founded by a guy. It is also very cool how fast the franchise grew with little advertising. Now that you have brought it up, I don't ever remember seeing a commercial or a billboard or anything of those sorts advertising the store. It is unbelievable how successful they are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Lululemon. All of the things you say about them replacing clothing that was unsatisfactory free of charge is absolutely true! I once bought a pair of pants from there and they got worn out way too quick. I knew there was something wrong because all of my other pairs were still going strong. I e-mailed the company and they sent me a printout to attach to my pants when I sent them to the headquarters which made the shipping free. In the same week I received a gift card at my door, MY DOOR, with the complete reimbursement. I was so impressed. I really do love the clothes because it is good quality and it is comfy. Loved the post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! Did someone say Lululemon?? I love this brand name in so many ways. Firstly, being an athlete, I need the best quality clothing possible to perform up to the same standards as I do in all my sports and Lululemon has it! Secondly, I love the way their clothes look on my body and I love their bright radiant color selection. Some people may say that their clothes are over priced by I say it is all worth it. A girl can not live if she doesn't have a pair of Lululemon yoga pants in her closet!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been the one to have very many name brand clothes. Since I pay for most of my clothing I have always been pretty cheap, although lululemon is one name brand I wish I had more from. I have two sweaters from this brand and I love them so much, they look good and are very comfortable. I just never seem to be able to spend that kind of money on one product, maybe I could learn to budge just a little bit for another lululemon outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was super interesting! I had no idea about that whole survey to choose the name and logo! I think it’s really cool how they involved their future customers in the decision. I’m not going to lie though; I still think it’s a super weird name. Possibly creative, but very weird.

    ReplyDelete